The Testing and Test Control Notation TTCN-3 is a modern, powerful test specification and test implementation language that supports all kinds of black-box testing. TTCN-3 was developed at the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI)
and is the only standardized test specification language (also adopted at ITU-T
Typical areas of application are
- Protocol and service testing
- Component, integration and system testing
- Testing of embedded, communication-based,
and distributed systems
TTCN-3 has a similar look and feel to a typical programming language. However, besides typical programming constructs, it contains all the important features to specify test procedures and campaigns for functional, conformance, interoperability, load and scalability tests.
These test-specific features are unique compared to traditional scripting or programming languages, and above all technology-independent.
TTCN-3 is suited for a large variety of application domains.
- Mobile communications (LTE, WiMAX, 3G, TETRA, GSM)
- Broadband technologies (ATM, DSL)
- Middleware platforms (WebServices, CORBA, CCM, EJB)
- Internet protocols (SIP, IMS, IPv6 and SIGTRAN )
- Smart Cards
- Automotive (AUTOSAR, MOST, CAN)
TTCN-3 stands out with over 20 years of experience in test specification and test automation. Being an international, open and maintained standard with standardized interfaces, extensibility is built in. TTCN-3 comes with a unique feature set, enabling you to create powerful test environments.
- Dynamic concurrent testing configurations
- Synchronous and asynchronous communication mechanisms
- Encoding information and other attributes
(including user extensibility)
- Data and signature templates with powerful matching mechanisms
- Test verdict mechanisms
- Test suite parameterization and test case selection mechanisms
- Harmonized with ASN.1, IDL, XML, and other languages
- Well-defined syntax, interchange format and static semantics
- Optional presentation formats (textual, graphical, tabular)
- Precise execution algorithm (operational semantics)
- Test suite and test system control
As recent developments show, industry and research start focusing more and more on testing with TTCN-3. This universal and adaptable testing language provides all necessary concepts and tools to cover the ever increasing test service requirements.